I found a video this morning with a nice concept of a Wii U Version of the Everybody Votes Channel. I thought it would be nice to share it. Unfortunately, this might be far fetched with the current state of the Wii U, so hopefully we will bring the Wii Version back with RiiConnect24.
We’ve decided to extend the deadline for the RiiConnect24 News Channel to January 26, 2016 instead of Christmas. The release date was chosen because that would be the nine year anniversary of the original News Channel. (It was first released on January 26, 2007.)
Christmas is a day where you spend time with your friends or/and family and get presents, instead of being at your computer for the whole day.
There’s also other benefits for extending this:
- Work on a version specifically for the Wii U.
- Tweak some things.
- More sources and languages available. If we released this now, you could only get English News from the Associated Press. Five other sources haven’t been in the works yet.
- Clean up my messy code that downloads the news. This is closed source by the way.
Also, since January 26, 2016 is on a Tuesday and it might be better to have the date be on a Sunday, Saturday or Friday this date might change.
Just thought I would let everyone know I made a little index of Wii Virtual Console Manuals here.
Don’t forget, the RiiConnected News Channel will be out on December 25, 2015!
I just wanted to talk about our current progress with getting the News Channel to update regularly with the latest news. (The news on the News Channel displayed on your Wii right now was news before the channel shutdown.)
Here’s what we’ve been working on:
- Download news from all six of the original News Channel sources and make the file the News Channel downloads. These include News 24, Mainichi, Associated Press, ANSA, ANP, and AFP. We’re almost done with the script to download stuff from the Associated Press, then we can work on downloading from the other five News Channel sources.
- Working on a patcher that downloads and patches the News Channel WAD to install this on your Wii, which probably will have the URL changed to our server so you no longer need to change your DNS. Also, you will have to have a patched IOS 31 that has the RSA Key changed, since the News Channel uses RSA and only has a public key, so we generated our own public/private key pair so we can sign our own signatures.
- Make a Wii U version of the patcher.
Lately I’ve been doing all of the coding for this, so I’m working hard.
I think I’ve understood most stuff that’s present in the News Channel Files.
We should be done with the News Channel stuff soon and I hope to see everything released by Christmas. After we’re done with the News Channel, we will figure out why the Forecast Channel gives us a FORE000006 error. It probably has to do with regional stuff.
If you want to talk with us, join our Discord chat and stop by and say hi. (I’m Larsen on the chat.)
After some hard work we’re proud to say that we’ve successfully modified the files in the News Channel!
The highlighted word in red was modified, the word was originally “combative” but now is “cucumbers”.
Please stay tuned for more details.
Also, I’d like to mention that the News Channel might be the first channel we’ll be working on running, then we can focus on the Forecast Channel.
We’re excited to get these running again!
Just wanted to talk about the progress we’ve been making on the RC24 project.
It’s been moving very slowly, I’ve dedicated a lot of time to the project because I really want to see the Forecast Channel working again.
The problem has remained since day 1 – trying to find out why we get this FORE000006 error. It can be caused by many of different things, but whatever it is we’ll hopefully find a way around it. 🙂
I bet Nintendo has zero plans for a Wii U/NX version of any of these channels unfortunately… Adding up all of the features, like weather from Weathernews or faster downloading from Akamai, it would cost them a lot to keep running, right?
I’ve decided to work on a little manual index (you know, those things that are viewable when playing a Virtual Console game).
So me and Poke have been playing around with it and made a fully working ring here. xD
This is our new RiiConnect24 blog! Behind the scenes stuff will go here.
Ciapa, Leseratte, Adrian, Larsenv and I all have access here, so we’ll all be updating you 😛
Thanks for using RiiConnect24!